About the Area
At the heart of the Cotes du Rhone, Sablet is a charming Provencal village with narrow streets, cobbled called, is spiral wound to the church dominated by a squat bell tower topped by an ornate bell. Here is the good life that comes everyday. How, indeed, did not want to stop in such a town whose motto “Fidelis and Tutis” is already full of promise?
The old village is locked up behind solid walls, the Barrys, erected in the XI century and restored with passion by the association of the same name.
Historically, Sablet responsibility of Comtat Venaissin that King Philip III, known as “the Bold” ceded to Pope Gregory X in 1274 and to whom sware the sablétains February 2, 1274, as part of Saint-André-des-Ramières. With the French Revolution, when Avignon defers to King Louis XVI, the Comtat chooses to “conquer or die under the dominion of the Holy See.” But in 1791, the National Assembly will declare the attachment of Comtat and Avignon states to the French Empire.
The church, dedicated to St. Nazaire, was first a Romanesque chapel built after the Saracen invasion. Over time, it has undergone many changes and demolitions. Inside, one can see two statues, one of Saint Roch, patron of the parish and one of Saint-Nazaire, the church’s patron. The altar, carved stone wheat and vine branches and reading desk are works due to local artists. At Christmas, it is imperative to admire the crib with wax figurines have over a hundred years old.
At the end of the village road Carpentras, the Chapel Saint -Roch recalls the plague of 1720 which devastated Provence. To protect these ravages, it edified, from, Walls Vénasque, the famous “Plague wall”. But Sablétains preferred to seek protection of their holy they later thanked him by building this humble and modest building currently being restored.
A little further, adjacent to the cemetery, is the Saint-Nazaire chapel, built between the twelfth and fourteenth century. Long abandoned, it was restored by the Companions of Barrys, who transformed into an exhibition and concert.
Another feature of the village are the fountains and wash fed by springs that descend from the mountain of Chevalong . Their role was essential in the daily life in the last century.
There was a time, long-standing, where the current Restaurant “Bees” was called COCO Café! Built right next to the station, it was both hotel and restaurant high ball known for its dance floor of 80 square meters! Establishment famous in the corner, he was at the forefront of modernity by installing electricity in 1928 and a pick-up that replaced the viola to better please the dancers! There were also organized competitions roller skates, bowling and even boxing matches! In winter, during the war, the room was used by the cooperative of grape vines and served some classroom time. Thereafter, sometimes private club or disco, Café COCO began its decline. It is a pleasure for the village to see him again revive. The major branches of plane trees tremble in happiness, ready once again to offer elegant shade on hot days ..
Festivities of Summer
Sablet is at the heart of the festivities of the summer. Between the famous Chorégies of Orange, the Dance Festival and Vaison-La-Romaine music and that of Carpentras dedicated to the theater, no time to get bored! Especially since Sablet has, in turn, imposed in the big league with its superb Book Day.
This cultural event which always takes place in late July the village became a huge library in the open. Created in 1987 by the Companions of Barrys, it currently attracts over 15,000 visitors who flock around a hundred writers of all kinds. The goal is to magnify the book and reading. We will press in the stands to see, select and discuss in a rare spirit of friendliness and respect .We can even attend exciting lectures in the shade of the gardens. This crazy day ends with the delivery of the first novel of the Prize, the author selected is rewarded with both a check and its weight in beautiful and good bottles of wine! This is a village that receives and welcomes the joy of living.